Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Welcome to my blog!

Well isn't this exciting!

This blog will detail my adventures with my vintage patterns and my sewing machine.

I am a devotee of 1950s fashion and dress accordingly - lots of high waisted pencil skirts, full circle skirts, capri pants, gorgeous dresses etc etc. Recently I remembered that I could sew (haven't done so for about 10 years) and decided to purchase a couple of authentic 1950s patterns and have a go at making my own creations. It has been an interesting journey so far and I would like to share it with whoever is interested.

While I say that I remembered I could sew... I could never sew REALLY well. But there is nothing like throwing yourself in the deep end and seeing if you can swim! The photograph on the right underneath my banner shows the first patten I decided to undertake. A beautiful circle skirted fitted coat from a 60 year old pattern that was too small for me ... see what I mean about deep end! This was my first project after more than 10 years of not sewing! And you know, it took me a couple of weeks, but it came out so well that I made another one! This time I changed the pattern so it was a straighter skirt, and I made it out of faux fur. And now I am addicted!!!

I'm looking forward to sharing my sewing adventures with the world :)

1 comment:

  1. Lovely job on your black vintage coat! I'm just wrestling with my second vintage coat pattern myself. You are right: a labour of love! I love the idea of ironing on interfacing to the old patterns. I'm more interested in sewing the garments than just collecting patterns; and I think I'll give that a try. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete