I know this is a really odd time for me to write a blog post, but I needed to get this project up to be eligible for the Fall For Cotton Sew-along.
Those of you that follow my Facebook page will have seen several sneak peaks over the last few days as I worked on, and finished the dress. The last time I posted I had pinned the decorative pieces on the bodice and had started hand sewing them on. At about that point I also decided that I would really rather pleat the skirt than gather it.
This is really for one reason only. Basically I always get super stressed sewing a gathered skirt into anything because bits always get caught up in stitching and it takes me several goes to get it right. And with the extra layers of fabric in the bodice and all the piping on the decorative pieces and at the waist line, I figured I had enough to worry about! I thought that a pleated skirt would be easier to attach (and it was) and look better (which I think it does).
After I cut off the extra length from the skirt panels, I used one of them to make a pleat 'pattern' to use as a guide when I pleated the skirt panels. After I worked out my pattern I attached the test peice to the bodice.
I was really happy with the way it looked, so went ahead and put the skirt pieces together and pleated them. Oh, and I forgot to take any photos, but the skirt has POCKETS!!!!
But enough (boring) construction details - I know you want to see the end result!!!
Today I wore my gorgeous dress out to breakfast, and stopped at Bimbadgen Estate on the way home to take some photos. I live just down the road from this lovely place and I can't believe this is the first time I have used it as a photo shoot location!
Just as a reminder, here is the vintage dress that inspired this project:
And here is my version, made out of vintage cotton dating from the 1950s:
What can I say - I love this dress! Everything about it seems perfect for me! And while it was a total labour of love, I think I could be persuaded to labour over another one!